Bonded foam mattresses are promoted as if the bonded foam is the primary material in the mattress. But, the bonded foam is not the primary material in the mattress. A bonded foam is the secondary material. The primary material may be memory foam or a polyurethane foam. Learn the main bonded foam mattress disadvantages in this article, before buying one.
Two main bonded foam mattress disadvantages are:
- A bonded foam mattress cannot give good support to the curves and joints of the body.
- A bonded foam mattress is generally a secondary layer and has little or no value to the sleeper.
You should buy a foam mattress which can give good support to the body.
What is a bonded foam mattress?
A bonded foam is made from scrap polyurethane foam or PUF.
It is also called as rebonded foam.
Take a look at how bonded foam is made from scrap polyurethane foam in this short video:
PUF scraps are bonded together under tremendous pressure to form a hard substance.
This substance or the bonded foam is used in a mattress as a secondary layer or the base layer.
However, in India, a mattress having a bonded foam layer is sold as a bonded foam mattress.
The fact is that there are other layers on the top of the bonded foam layer.
The top layer is the comfort layer of the mattress.
The base layer is the support layer of the mattress.
Hence, a mattress should not be sold based on the base or the support layer.
It is the comfort layer that is responsible for all the goodness or the badness we get from a mattress.
But this do not apply to a Spring mattress.
In a spring mattress, the springs are at the base of the mattress too.
But we can feel the bounce, which is the result of the springs.
But in a bonded foam mattress, we cannot feel the hardness of the bonded foam.
In fact, if we at all feel the hardness of the bonded foam, then the bonded foam mattress is not a good mattress at all.
In order for a mattress to be comfortable, we must get the benefit of the comfort layer.
Hence, a foam mattress, which has bonded foam at the base, should not be sold on the basis of the support foam, but on the basis of the comfort foam as the hardness has no impact on us.
Various types of bonded foam mattresses
As far as bonded foam mattresses are concerned, the bonded foam is of one type only.
However, the comfort foam on the top can be of two materials – PUF or memory foam.
Most of the bonded foam mattresses have a layer of PUF or polyurethane foam on the top.
Bonded foam mattresses are also commonly sold as double-sided mattress. This means that the mattress can be used on both the sides – one side being soft and the other side being firm.
Advantages of a bonded foam Mattress
Let us take a look at the advantages of using a bonded foam mattress:
- A bonded foam mattress lasts longer than a PUF mattress.
- Bonded foam mattresses are cheap.
- Bonded foam mattresses do not sag as easily as a general PUF mattress.
- The bonded foam helps to keep the mattress in better shape.
Bonded foam mattress disadvantages
Now let us take a look at the disadvantages:
- As the bonded foam is the secondary layer in a bonded foam mattress, it has little or no value to the sleeper.
- A bonded foam mattress cannot give good support to the body curves and spine as it is too firm.
- As bonded foam is made from synthetic material, it may cause health problems to some people.
- Bonded foam is a hard substance. So, if the top layer of the bonded foam mattress is not thick enough, it may be difficult to have comfortable sleep.
Is bonded foam mattress good for your health?
Bonded foam mattress is made from scrap PUF or polyurethane foams.
A PUF is made from carbon compounds.
Hence a bonded foam mattress is made from synthetic materials.
But, it generally do not cause any health problems.
However, as it is a synthetic product, it is advisable to consult a physician before using it, especially if you are allergic to carbon materials.
What to look for when buying a bonded foam mattress?
If you want to buy a bonded foam mattress, check for the following:
- There should be adequate thickness of the top layer, so that the hard bonded foam is not felt.
- The bonded foam mattress should not be too costly.
- Also note that there is little or no smell of chemicals in the mattress.
Is there any better alternative?
Bonded foam mattresses are higher in density than a normal PUF mattress.
Hence it is used at the base of the mattress.
Thus a bonded foam mattress has no advantages as far as body support is concerned.
If you are looking for a better alternative to a bonded foam mattress, you can buy a memory foam mattress.
A memory foam mattress is also a synthetic product, but it is a responsive material.
Being responsive in nature, memory foam gives a good support to the body curves and the spine.
So chances of having back pain are less.
A bonded foam mattress is mostly preferred by people who want a better alternative to PUF mattress.
It is more firmer and lasts longer.
However, as we have seen above, bonded foam mattress gives no support to the spine.
So, it may cause back pain to some people.
It may also cause other health problems, especially, if someone is allergic to carbon compounds.
But, if you are looking for a cheaper and better alternative than a normal PUF mattress then go for it.