Summers are hot in India. So it is necessary that our mattresses do not feel uncomfortable at night. if our mattresses do not feel comfortable in a hot night, we will not be able to sleep properly. And not getting enough sleep may lead to many health problems. The market seems to be flooded with coir and foam mattresses. Let us find out whether we should buy coir or foam mattress for summer.
- What is a coir mattress?
- Various types of coir mattresses
- Pros and Cons of Coir Mattress
- What is a foam mattress?
- Various type of foam mattresses
- Pros and Cons of Foam Mattress
- Difference between coir and foam mattress and whether coir or foam mattress for summer is good
- Is coir mattress better than foam?
- Which mattress is good for hot weather?
- Is coir mattress good for summer?
- 3 Mistakes While Buying A Mattress
- Which Mattress is Best for Summer?
What is a coir mattress?
There are secondary materials also in a coir mattress.
As it is not possible to sleep just on coir, the top layer in a coir mattress is covered with a layer of polyurethane foam.
Then the whole mattress is covered and stitched by fabric made of cotton or any other material.
Various types of coir mattresses
There are mainly two types of coir mattresses –
- Hybrid coir mattress
- Rubberised coir mattress
Most of the coir mattresses are hybrid as coir is only the primary material.
The secondary materials may be polyurethane foam or memory foam.
Sometimes we also come across a term called “rubberised coir mattress”.
Although some very rare coir mattress may have a mix of coir and latex, a genuine rubberised coir mattress is hard to find.
Mostly a “rubberised coir mattress” refers to the natural bounce in a coir mattress. But, strictly speaking, coir mattresses are hardly bouncy.
Pros and Cons of Coir Mattress
Coir mattresses have good air-circulation and naturally ventilated.
So a coir mattress is naturally cooler in summer.
However one of the major disadvantage of a coir mattress is that, they do not last more than a few years.
A coir mattress sags easily resulting in an uneven mattress surface.
As the mattress becomes uneven our spine is not aligned properly as we sleep which leads to body aches and pains.
What is a foam mattress?
A foam mattress refers to a mattress made of either polyurethane foam or a combination of different types of foams.
Various type of foam mattresses
There are 5 types of foam mattresses available in India:
- Polyurethane foam mattress
- Bonded foam mattress
- Memory foam mattress
- Latex foam mattress
- Talalay foam mattress
A polyurethane foam is made from carbon compounds. It is a synthetic material.
A polyurethane foam mattress is one where the primary material is polyurethane foam or PUF.
Such mattresses are of single layer of polyurethane foam covered and stitched by fabric.
A PUF foam is of soft comfort.
A bonded foam is made from scrap polyurethane foam. Polyurethane scraps are bonded together by chemicals under tremendous pressure to form a hard substance.
In a bonded foam mattress, the bonded foam is the second layer. The top layer or the comfort layer is mostly polyurethane foam.
The comfort of a bonded foam mattress depends on the secondary material on the top of the mattress.
A memory foam is made by adding extra chemicals to polyurethane foam. It was first developed by NASA.
A memory foam is responsive to body weight.
It means, that, it moulds to the curves of the body when sleeping and again comes back to it’s original shape when pressure is removed.
Thus a memory foam gives a good support to the body.
A memory foam mattress is of medium-firm comfort.
A latex foam is made from the sap of rubber tree. Hence it is a natural material.
In a latex mattress, the latex foam is the only material used, beside the fabric.
Some latex mattress may have a secondary material, like memory foam, on the top.
A latex mattress is of medium-firm comfort.
A talalay mattress is made from latex mattress.
While a latex mattress is made by the traditional Dunlop process, a talalay mattress is made by talalay process.
A talalay mattress is a superior form of latex mattress.
It is not easily available in India. Mostly it is imported.
A talalay mattress is of medium-firm comfort.
Pros and Cons of Foam Mattress
Polyurethane foams, especially memory foam, depends on our body heat to adjust to our body curves.
This makes the mattress feel warm while sleeping on it.
So polyurethane foam and memory foam may feel uncomfortable in summer.
Latex foam mattresses and talalay foam mattresses, however, do not feel hot in summer.
Difference between coir and foam mattress and whether coir or foam mattress for summer is good
The major differences between a coir and foam mattress is as follows:
- A coir mattress is a partly made from natural materials. PUF mattress, bonded foam mattress and memory foam mattresses are made from synthetic materials.
- A coir mattress sags in few years. PUF mattress do not last very long. But memory foam mattress, bonded foam mattress, latex foam mattress and talalay mattresses lasts longer.
- A coir mattress is of firm comfort. A PUF mattress is of soft comfort, memory foam mattress, latex foam mattress and talalay foam mattress are of medium-firm comfort. Comfort of a bonded foam mattress depends on the secondary materials.
- A coir mattress is cooler in summer. Only latex foam mattress and talalay foam mattress are cooler in summer. PUF, bonded foam and memory foam mattresses are not cooler in summer.
Is coir mattress better than foam?
Coir mattress is definitely better than PUF mattress as coir is a natural material, while a PUF is a synthetic material.
However, coir mattress is not better than memory foam mattress, as memory foam gives better support to the body than a coir mattress.
A coir mattress is also not better than a latex foam or talalay foam mattress because, these foams are of medium-firm comfort and lasts longer.
Latex foam mattress and talalay foam mattresses are made from natural materials like coir mattresses.
Which mattress is good for hot weather?
You must have guessed the answer by now.
Yes, latex foam mattress, talalay foam mattress and coir mattress are good for hot weather.
Is coir mattress good for summer?
Yes, coir mattresses are good for summer.
Coir mattresses have good ventilation through which heat can escape.
So it remains cool during summer.
3 Mistakes While Buying A Mattress
Besides choosing a mattress suitable for hot weather it is necessary to consider other factors.
Let us take a look at them.
- Comfort: A mattress can be of firm, medium-firm, medium, soft and medium-soft in comfort. Coir mattresses are very firm in comfort. A foam mattress can be of any comfort-level as above. Most orthopaedic doctors recommend to use a medium-firm mattress. Most foam mattresses have medium-firm comfort.
- Durability: Coir mattresses do not lasts long. It sags to the body weight. A foam mattress lasts longer, do not sag easily to the body weight and are mostly treated against germs.
- Cost: Coir mattresses are costly. Foam mattresses are cheaper than a coir mattress.
Which Mattress is Best for Summer?
As written above coir, latex and talalay foam mattresses are best for summer.
Coir mattresses have good ventilation, so they are naturally cool in summer.
Latex and talalay foam mattresses are made from the sap of the rubber tree. So they are also made from natural materials. They do not get hot in summer too.
However, coir mattresses do not last long and sags easily.
Talalay foam mattresses are very costly.
Hence, we recommend to buy latex mattresses as they are cooler in summer and also gives good support to the body.